Dr. Oded Gottesman, CTO of Compandent Inc., technology IP expert witness in such areas as telecommunications, cellular phone, wireless networks, and signal processing, provides world-class expertise and experience in working with leading law firms, expert witness services, patent analysis, prior art search, source code review, hardware review, patent infringement, patent invalidity, trade secret disputes, and related matters. Dr. Gottesman has more than 20 years and 30 cases of experience as an expert witness, deposed 16 times. testified 6 times in Jury trial and 2 times in ITC trial, worked on Inter-Partes Review (IPR) and Ex Parte Reexamination petitions, and wrote numerous reports.
Among his areas of expertise are telecommunications, cellular networks (3GPP, 3GPP2, GSM, 4G, GSM, CDMA, TDMA, etc.), wireless networks, DSP, Speech and audio compression standards (codecs) (MPEG MP3, MPEG AAC, MPEG HE-AAC, MPEG, 3GPP aacPlus, Enhanced aacPlus, AMR, AMR-WB, AMR-WB+; EVS, ETSI GSM, CELP, MELP ITU-T, etc.), video codecs, computers software and hardware, packetized networks, VoIP, streaming audio, streaming video, real-time systems, timing and synchronization in cellular and other networks, location and position systems (UTDOA, GPS, A-GPS, AOA, etc.), transcoding between links and networks having multiple timing sources and data rates, source coding, channel coding, error control coding, algorithms, speech audio and video processing, signal compression, algorithms, software, hardware and implementation, embedded systems, smartphones, portable devices, client-server, web applications, and mobile applications.
Dr. Gottesman served as expert witness in several cellular network and smartphone / tablet device related cases, including network operation, protocols, layers, signal processing, codec, user / human interface, and applications.
Dr. Gottesman has more than 20 years of experience as an expert witness. He has acted as an expert in about 30 matters, including:
- As an expert in Petition for IPR Cases (Inter Partes Review)
- As an expert in Petition for XPR Cases (Ex Parte Reexamination)
- As an expert in Petition for ITC Cases (International Trade Commission)
- As an expert on patent non-infringement for defense
- As an expert on patent infringement for plaintiff
- As an expert on patent invalidity for defense
- As an expert on patent invalidity rebuttal for plaintiff
- As an expert on copyright matter for defense
- As an expert on hardware design liability for defense
In the course of this work, Dr. Gottesman has
- Been deposed 16 times
- Testified 6 time in a jury trial
- Testified 2 time in a ITC trial
- Reviewed and analyzed computer source code to identify segments indicating possible infringement or non infringement
- Examined and analyzed computer hardware and architecture to identify possible infringement
- Written numerous expert reports including:
- Infringement for plaintiff in US District Court cases.
- Non-infringement or defense in US District Court cases.
- Invalidity rebuttal for plaintiff in US District Court cases.
- Invalidity rebuttal for plaintiff in Petition for XPR Cases (Ex Parte Reexamination)
- Invalidity rebuttal for plaintiff in Petition for IPR Cases (Inter Partes Review)
- Invalidity rebuttal for plaintiff in ITC Cases (International Trade Commission)
- Infringement for plaintiff in ITC Cases (International Trade Commission)
- Non-infringement for defense in ITC Cases (International Trade Commission)
Dr. Gottesman served as expert witness & consultant for law firms and clients including:
- Alston & Bird,
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- AZA Law,
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP,
- Cooley Godward Kronish,
- Feinberg Day,
- Fenwick & West,
- Fish & Richardson,
- Hill Kertscher & Wharton,
- Kirkland & Ellis,
- Sidley Austin,
- Weir & Partners,
- Woodcock & Washburn,
- Meredith & Keyhani, PLLC,
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Russ August & Kabat,
- Parts Geek,
- Saint Lawrence Communications,
- Vinson & Elkins LLP,
- Wiav, and
- Williams & Connolly LLP.
To download Dr. Gottesman CV .